I am a slow reader. Thus, this is a slow page, a gradual collection of four and five star books that I have read. You could wait a while for the next book because the books I finish are sometimes three stars (okay read). And the others? I gave up on them before page fifty. That doesn’t necessarily mean it’s an uninteresting book. I probably got distracted.
Books by Indie Authors
I have made a commitment to reading indie authors and hope you can do the same. Do you read 200 books a year? Make 10 of them by new and self-published authors. It won’t break the bank. If you read more like twenty books a year like me, try two indie books. Is that too much?
Here is a list of indie authors I have read. I am not a reviewer. A reviewer might not be nice. My goal is to be nice. I wouldn’t list a book here if there wasn’t something redeeming about it, a diamond in the rough.
- The Last Monument by Michael C. Grumley. An adventure story, fun read.
- Approaching Shatter (Echo #1) by Kent Wayne. I don’t usually start series because, you know, slow as molasses. If I wait long enough, maybe I’ll forget that I really wanted to know what happened next.
- The Bahawre Secret by Chris L. Meyers. If you like dragons, this is for you.
- Fire Within by Morten W. Simonsen. Three sons of a king on three separate paths.
- How to Travel While Being Dirt Cheap by Hugo Morel. Travel tips from one who knows.
- Reflection of Memories by Tesa Jones. A realistic romance more like how real people experience love.
- The Bahawre Legend & The Bahawre Covenant by Chris L. Meyers. The first two books of a series. I also read the third one and there is a fourth coming. I like the story and want to know how it ends. I’m waiting. Featured Indie Author.
- Unlonely Planet by Billy Curry. A memoir of the author’s travels when younger.
- The Trials of Hercules by Tammie Painter. Featured Indie Author.
Books I’ve Read Recently (recently means that I still remember reading it). These are non-indie books. The highlighted books are my favorites. Symbols: *book club choice; ^independent choice; ! plucked from my bookshelf; %recommended to me. All of these are recommended (4 or 5 stars).
- ^The Names by Don DeLillo.
- * The Book of Lost Friends by Lisa Wingate.
- *A Long Petal of the Sea by Isabel Allende.
- ^Just One Damned Thing After Another by Jodi Taylor.
- *American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins
- ^The Psychology of Time Travel: A Novel by Kate Mascarenhas
- *Circling the Sun by Paul McLain
- ^Uncle Petros and Goldbach’s Conjecture by Apostolos Doxiadis
- *Girl in Disguise by Greer Macallister
- *The Red Lotus by Chris Bohjalian
- *The Great Believers by Rebecca Makkai
- ^Recursion by Blake Crouch
- ^Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan
- ^Love and Summer by William Trevor
- *The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michele Richardson
- %There There by Tommy Orange
Symbols: *book club choice; ^independent choice; ! plucked from my bookshelf; %recommended to me. All of these are recommended (4 or 5 stars). Highlighted books are my favorites.
- *Inheritance: A Memoir of Genealogy, Paternity, and Love by Dani Shapiro
- *The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane by Lisa See
- *The Chilbury Ladies’ Choir by Jennifer Ryan
- ^Jack of Spades by Joyce Carol Oates
- *Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger
- *Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
- ^A Conspiracy of Truths by Alexandra Rowland
- %Whose Body by Dorothy L. Sayers
- !Gardener to the King by Frederic Richaud